Wareham Blog

2 Comments
  1. admin

    What have i done? – Backing up electronic copies of research files can be a simple process if you get it right. But when you get it wrong, it is soul destroying! A few days ago i undertook my monthly back of all my research files. Usually this goes without any issues, however on this occasion i messed up big time. I had both Windows open but i managed to copy some backup files to my working files instead of the other way around. I managed to notice just in time and checking on the damage done, i had overwritten my 101 Soldiers files. I am now in the process of rebuilding the files 1 by 1 and so far of the first 5 files, only 1 was damaged,
    So, the cause was probably tiredness and i have put in place some checks to ensure it will not happen again. I have also found out that in Windows 10 the Previous Versions backup was not switched on. I didn’t even know i had to turn it on!
    Hey ho – a lesson learned.

  2. admin

    So the transfer of all data from the old Lotus Approach 97 Database has achieved its first step. The data has now been transferred to Access Database and i am now able to update the records again. I had to stop updating in October 2019 as my amazing I.T. guru needed a snapshot of all data as it was on the day.
    I can say that there is still work to do to provide further functionality, however it looks and feels great.
    This is a stepping stone phase as Microsoft have discontinued support for MS Access; so a future phase will be to find an Access Replacement and to upgrade to new software; what this is or turns out to be will become clear when the time comes, but at least now the data is in a Format that will make the upgrade much simpler.
    So, onwards, we have work to do! 🙂

Write a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *